Sunday, November 11, 2007

No Travel this Week = Crazy!

That's right, things have finally slowed down in the travel department! I actually spent this past weekend at CC. It was nice to get a little bit of sleep and play catch-up with all of the things that I have been unable to prioritize until now. We went to see the semi-annual dance workshop on Friday night, which was definitely...interesting. I really liked several of the more traditional numbers, but have to admit that I do not understand "modern" dance at all. I made the famous vegan chocolate cupcakes for a post-outing snack. They turned out quite well, though I tried to put sprinkles on after the frosting had dried, which resulted in sprinkle-less cupcakes.

I have been frantically working on my visa application for Sweden. The Swedish government requires so much information to travel there! Luckily, I have it about finished and should be able to mail it tomorrow if my insurance information arrives. I was also able to go grocery shopping this weekend, so I have had fun making hummus and fresh veggies dishes. I am going to make some cranberry cookies (thanks for the recipe, mom!) in a bit.

I cannot believe that it is week three of this block already! I need to get some research together for my final paper - twenty-five pages, due next Monday. I am writing on management strategies of genetically modified food, which will be interesting/disturbing (because of the current lack of regulation). I have to say that I am looking forward to actually knowing what I am eating in Europe, which is more than I can say in the USA!

Last Thursday was our Relay For Life Kickoff at CC! The kickoff is the first time of the school year that we officially advertise Relay and give people a chance to sign up. I am so excited because we had four teams sign up! Plus, everyone I talked to actually knew what Relay For Life was! This year is going to be fantastic! Oh, and did I mention the theme is "Candy Land?" That was my idea. :)

On Thursday, we will have our first Innovative Minds lecture of the school year! I am on the planning committee and am quite excited. Innovative Minds is a lecture series that one of my favorite professors, Dan, conceived two years ago. We bring in interesting speakers that have an innovative approach to business, a product, etc. The speakers give a public lecture, speak to classes, and experience the city. Besides bringing in cool lecturers, the series seeks to form bond between CC, the Colorado Springs community, and other places. One of our favorite speakers last year was Jerry Greenfield of Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream!

David Calley, president and founder of Southwest Windpower will be our speaker on Thursday. He created a residential wind turbine, which is totally cool! I am working hard on the last minute details for his visit - the lecture, pre-dinner at the President's House, etc. It is always stressful to put these events on, but worth it.

That is about all that I can think of at the moment. Tomorrow I get an email from Ben - yippee. Enjoy the lovely fall leaves if you still have some - we do, and I love them!

No comments: