Friday, November 16, 2007

Almost Finished with Block 3

The title says it all - I only have three more days left in Environmental Management! Granted, my work is far from over - I have a final paper due at 9:00 am on Monday that I started today. My paper must be twenty-five pages in length and create a management strategy for an important environmental issue. I am focusing on the management of genetically modified soybeans from the EPA's perspective. The twenty-five page requirement is going to be a major problem. One would think that because I am "starting this late" (not really, late would be starting on Sunday!) that I am going to have a problem meeting the page requirement. In actuality the problem is much worse - I am going to have to trim and slice and dice my paper to get it down to twenty five pages! My professor asked me if I was planning on writing a thesis or my final paper...I say, let's combine the two and celebrate with vegan cupcakes when finished! I love reading environmental laws and regulations...a bit too much! Thank goodness - this project is 70% of my class grade!

Everyone is probably wondering why I put off writing my final paper until now. Well, the answer is simple and two fold: 1) I do not have time to start final projects in advance due to the extensive amount of homework I have every night and the few (haha) other activities I am involved in, and 2) I like to type a paper in one shot. I know I can do it because I have written longer papers in shorter time periods before.

So what was I up to this week that occupied my time instead of the intriguing topic of GM soy regulation? Last night, we held the first Innovative Minds (IM) Lecture of the 2007-2008 school year! David Calley of Southwest Windpower talked about his innovative upbringing, projects, and company. Though the turnout was lower than expected, we definitely had quality over quantity for an audience - the questions asked of Dave following the lecture were great! The private, pre-dinner for twenty-four at the President's House was my primary job. Luckily, we were able to recently recruit one of my friends to help on the IM planning committee this fall! Connie, my boss in CC Communications, was out of town, so I was in charge of co-hosting the dinner and dealing with all of the lovely little problems that accompany important events. Yesterday, I discovered that no one had ordered alcohol for the event - it was pretty funny to see me manage that one, given my lack of experience in both the consumption and arrangement. Despite problems, the dinner and the lecture went extremely well! I am so happy that it is over so that I can focus on the eight million other things that I have to do.

My paper calls! More updates later...

No comments: