Saturday, November 3, 2007

Fall at CC, World Vegan Day, and Relay U

It's finally fall at CC! I have been waiting for the leaves to change for weeks. On Wednesday, it was nice enough to take photos, so I toted my camera around to all of my activities hoping to get a few good shots.

Tree on Worner Quad


Gorgeous colors

Thursday, November 1st, was World Vegan Day! I celebrated by wearing one of my controversial PETA t-shirts and by making a few new recipes. I made pumpkin chocolate chip cupcakes with cinnamon icing (recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World) for my CC Relay For Life committee meeting that evening. Everyone loved them and was, of course, surprised when I educated them on the ingredient list. Speaking of vegan baking, our dining hall recently hired a new chef for the Vegan/Vegetarian/Healthy station. I had a Campus Dining Advisory Committee meeting on Wednesday and pre-partied for World Vegan Day by eating the most amazing chocolate chip cookies, compliments of the new chef, for lunch. Yesterday, I saw Jessica, our Dining Director of Operations, who had me try the cookies of the day, cranberry walnut. I am starting to regret not being on the meal plan! :) I am going to have to attempt to play my cards right and become a "tester" for vegan dessert options.

My cupcakes = yum

I am working on all of my study abroad paperwork, visa, etc...and I thought the application process was time consuming! At the rate I have been going this semester, study abroad is going to seem like a vacation. Well, not exactly, but it will be a nice change of pace. I received grades for Block 2, Economics of Innovation, this week as well: A-! I am absolutely ecstatic! Dan is one of my all-time favorite professors at CC, but also one of the hardest professors on campus so I am pretty excited about my grade! My current class, Environmental Management, is going really well. It is also a lot of work, but I love doing my homework because it exactly matched to my interests. I have been lucky this semester to take three blocks from three of my favorite professors!

Last night, my apartment-mates and I had a fall party. We made a fall-themed dinner and carved pumpkins! Caitlin and I were up past 3:00 am putting together our presentations for Relay University, which was held today in Pueblo. Relay University (Relay U) is similar to Summit, but on a smaller scale. Every member of each Relay committee (community and college events) is invited to receive training on their specific committee position and Relay as a whole. Caitlin and I helped plan Relay U this year as part of our duties as Region D Council Members. We are lucky to have awesome Council Co-Chairs and great Council Membership - they are incredibly receptive to youth involvement and integrate us into Council and higher level Relay leadership as frequently as possible. We taught the two breakout sessions for Event Chairs and did a twenty-minute piece on Youth Involvement. I also ended up running the audio visual for the entire day. We rented a school van and took nearly our entire CC Relay planning committee to Relay U for the day. CC was the best represented event there: sixteen strong! We dressed up "80's style" going off of our "Born in the 80's, Just like Relay!" group theme, which was just for fun. The theme of Relay U was Wizard of Oz, which was pretty uninteresting and I had to dress up as the tin man at one point, which was mortifying. Other than than, we had a great day and everything went relatively smoothly, minus issues with the manager of the local ACS office.

I have been working on laundry and getting life situated before I leave again tomorrow. I am flying to Hilton Head, SC tomorrow afternoon to participate in a panel for the National Sodexho Leadership Conference. It will be a quick trip - I will be back in time for class on Tuesday morning. I am looking forward to having next weekend off - my first free weekend in months!

No comments: