Saturday, May 24, 2008

Time is flying...

I cannot believe that it is already Saturday! I am working on laundry (the project always takes a minimum of three hours) and papers. I leave for Dublin on Monday morning...SO EXCITING! Seriously, I have wanted to move to Ireland for practically my entire life, so I am seriously hoping that it lives up to my expectations. I wish that I could bring my fantastic rainboots, but I know that there will not be room in my backpack and it would probably make me go over the weight limit. Ryanair has really strict policies for carry on luggage, concerning size and weight. They charge people quite a bit to check bags, so I always make sure that I can carry on. Luckily, I have my gortex hiking shoes to brave the wet weather.

This week was quite busy...again! I am so thankful that I somehow managed to motivate myself into starting and finishing my final for Economic Development last weekend because there is no way that I would have time to do that this weekend. I am almost finished with that class, which is a really good feeling. We had our last lecture two weeks ago, but we have a group paper due along with the final on Friday. I already turned in the exam (on Monday...this must be a record for me!), and the paper just needs a final edit. I wrote it with two of my friends from class, and I am happy to say that it turned out pretty well. I think that it was my first time writing a group paper since elementary school. It turned out to be a little higher than elementary work, quality wise...haha. The teacher (not a professor) is grading these as pass/fail, which really distorts the incentives to work hard. My group did though - we looked at the influence of investment in education and R&D (research and development) on South Korea's GDP growth, made our own model, ran a regression...it was intense.

I had my last lecture for Economic Geography of Asia on Thursday. I have really enjoyed that class...for the most part. The lecturer for the first and last two lectures was the head of the Economic Department at JIBS. He is also a good friend of Mark, one of my professors and thesis advisor at CC, and was a great lecturer. He may visit CC in the fall (he comes to our school every now and then). I have the big final for that class on June 2, and then I am done! I think that one is going to be a little challenging because it is an essay test - eight or nine questions and five hours. I have a feeling that it is going to bring back memories of AP essay writing...THAT seems like a long time ago!

The big, nasty Swedish 2 final was yesterday. I definitely failed it, but I am feeling okay with that reality. It was an incredibly difficult test. Though I prepared for it, I would have had to memorize the dictionary to get a high score. It was rather ridiculous! Most of the others in my class felt the same way, so I know that I am not the lone slacker (about half opted not to take the exam at all). I do not get credit for my Swedish courses from CC anyways - they were 'extra' - but I am glad that I took them. I learned quite a bit of Swedish and it was important to me to learn at least some of the language that I am continuously immersed in.


One of the major accomplishments of the week was FINALLY confirming a place to live in Gaithersburg this summer! I feel so much better knowing that is taken care of. The house that I am renting a room in is quite close to my office and not very far from Trader Joe's, which was pretty much a requirement...haha. I am getting very excited to start that adventure! I have been working diligently on a few different Sodexo and Relay projects...trying to get them finished up before summer. I am also SUPER EXCITED for my week at home! I have lists and lists, and yes, more lists of all of the things that I want to do. It will be wonderful to be back in Evergreen! I have also received a large amount of pre-reading for my course at the Democratic National Convention (DNC) in August. That is going to be a phenomenal experience! One of my professors is writing a book on the 2008 Elections and we get to read the rough draft copy. How cool is that? The course is really intriguing because one professor is a staunch republican and the other is a democrat. We mix the glory of CC teaching with an internship at the Convention, plus other group work and such. I cannot wait! Now, if Hillary would stop being such a sore loser and drop out instead of making comments about Kennedy being shot in June to Obama, everything would be great!

Also, because I am obsessed with vegan news, Opera is going vegan (and gluten-free) for three weeks! I not one for celebrity gossip, but she has a major influence on people, so this could be really good! I hope that the health effects, as well as the environmental, social, psychological, and economic benefits get some fantastic press!

No comments: