Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Twilight Zone

Today I had one of the wierdest encounters ever. The world is a very small place.

This morning I went to Swedish class. I had my funny professor, so all went well. We reviewed our verbs, conjugation in four different tenses, and left feeling relatively overwhelmed but slightly more confident...haha...the last part was a joke. I begin my walk to the bus, which involves walking up the main street in downtown Jönköping. I am walking along, sort of spacing at as usual, when a nicely dressed girl steps in front of me and says, "Hej!"
"Hej," I reply, "Jag taler inte svenska" (I do not speak Swedish).
"Do you speak English?" she replies, without the slightest accent.
"Yep," I say, "I am American." Well, guess what? So is she! Then I notice the name tag and connect the name tag to the nice attire and the friendly, greet random people on the streetness...oh my gosh I think to myself, this girl is a missionary.
"Where are you from?" she asks.
"Colorado."
"So am I!" Holy crap, I think to myself. "I am from Centennial...it is near Denver. And you?"
"Wow...my roommate back at school is from Centennial. I am from Evergreen. It is a little town..."
"Oh I know Evergreen! My dad lives there!"
I decide to verify my suspicions: "Are you a Mormon missionary?"
"Yes! Have you ever heard of the Mormon Church?"
"Yeah...well actually, my best friend is a Mormon missionary in Paraguay..." Then, she gets really excited.
"Oh how wonderful! You attend church here?"
"Well no, you see, I am actually Catholic."
Obviously discouraged, but she is still going to try: "But your friend, has he shared the wonderful Book of Mormon with you?"
"Yeah...but I am pretty set on being Catholic." Is there a better way to break the news?
Then, she pinned me down on the sidewalk and converted me!
Just kidding. Actually we agreed that it was a small world and I continued on my trek to the bus.


Thank you, Mom!

No comments: