Sunday, January 20, 2008

Lazy Sunday

First, if you would like to see additional photos, click the link to the right --> that says "Picasa" under "MORE PHOTOS." I cannot post all of them on my blog, so I will update these albums as well.

Today was a very lazy day, for no reason at all! I got up late, had some breakfast that was really more like lunch, and cleaned up my room. Then, I was feeling generous, so I picked up all of the trash outside the building where I live and there was quite a bit! Every time I walk home, I see the junk in the yard and feel grumpy. I finally decided to clean all of it up and now I feel much better! I am hoping that people will attempt to throw their alcohol bottles in the recycle in the future! After that, I was still feeling unproductive and decided that an adventure was in order. It was pretty chilly out, but since I was already wearing waterproof gear I decided to go down to the lake.


Moss near the lake

It is puzzling to me why there is not a path down to the lake anywhere near where I live, or a path along it for that matter. In the main part of Jönköping, there is a path parallel to the lake, but out where I live, there is nothing. I guess that people prefer to view it instead of really explore it! Anyways, I have been on a quest for a good way to get down to the edge because the land becomes near vertical by the coast, is very muddy and slippery, and has a lot of trees and bushes. I finally found a semi-reasonable area to descend behind a school near my building.


Lake Vattern

It is lovely down by the water! I love how peaceful it is! Everything is covered in bright green moss and has that semi-rotted appeal. There is literally the bank, which is about five times my height, and the water, so I was really glad that I was wearing my gortex hiking shoes. After I checked out all of the coastline that I could bushwhack too (not much, unfortunately), I decided to hike away from Jönköping and see what was in the other direction.


Mini pinecones

It took me a bit to find a path, but luckily "trespassing" is not really an issue in Sweden. There is a law that states anyone can walk across anyone else's land, provided that one is respectful and is not walking adjacent to homes. I love the trust and respect that this law implies and I definitely think that it is my favorite Swedish law! Anyways, I walked quite a ways and found the cutest houses ever! I also found a possible forest area, which I will have to examine at a later time because during this portion of my walk it was raining.


This one is for Mom :)

I, of course, did not realize how cold I was until I got back and I was freezing! It took me forever to thaw out. I am quite displeased with the stupid heaters in my room because they never make it warm enough. I know that I have unreasonable expectations temperature-wise, but it would be nice if they put out a little more heat!

My first class is on Tuesday! I am very excited because I feel like I have way too much time on my hands here. Unfortunately, the school lacks the variety and number of clubs and activities that I am accustomed to, so I am still searching for extracurricular activities. Luckily my Relay and Sodexho conference calls at insane hours (thank you, eight hour time difference) will provide some stimulation. Last night, orientation ended with a welcome dinner at a Greek restaurant near school. It was pretty good (buffet = lots of veggies for me) and I sat interesting people! I wish that I could say the same about Friday night! The international students were invited to a "sitting," which is a type of Swedish party. Of course, we all bought tickets without really knowing what it was because that is what you do as a new student. Well, sitting turned out to be a dinner party with excessive amounts of alcohol, highlighted by singing Swedish drinking songs. A little global flair was added by performances of national anthems by a variety of countries. It was very boring and annoying as a sober observer. Anyways, that night was pretty much awful and I think that was the first and last event of that genre that I will be attending. Other than that, everything else in the first week has been quite good. Hopefully week two will be as successful!

No comments: